Sunday, October 4, 2026

Bruges, Belgium

Hi all. Was tired last night so I didn’t post anything, but here we go. After breakfast yesterday we had a city walking tour with a very informative local guide, followed by a canal cruise to see the city through a different lens. Both were very interesting experiences. 

In the afternoon we were able to explore on our own and the most substantial thing we did was visit a church to see Michelangelo’s Madonna with Child sculpture, one of the few work to leave Italy during his lifetime. As the story goes, the bishop who commissioned it didn’t want any nudity, but Michelangelo carved Jesus nude anyway so a Flemish merchant bought the work and brought it to Bruges. 

Later we caught a nap, hoping to get our bodies properly on European time. Dinner was a group affair and consisted of beef stew and fries. Apparently I committed a faux pas here in Belgium by asking for a spoon (so I wouldn’t waste any of that delicious gravy), but I guess the proper method is to scoop the gravy with the fries. Who knew? Dessert was ice cream topped with whipped cream and chocolate sauce-YUM!

I’m hoping that I can get some pictures to attach here, but it seems to be a challenge. Wish me luck! Bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment