Wednesday, March 24, 2010

AAARGH! Blisters!

I hate this! My training is getting delayed by the most common and despised enemy of hikers...blisters. I thought the boots I have were suffcently broken in and properly fitting so that I wouldn't have any foot problems, but it seems that I'm mistaken in that belief. As my body's fitness has improved, I've been trying to add distance to my workouts to increase stamina, but my feet are betraying me. One pair of boots seems to be too loose, resulting in blisters and hot spots on my toes and balls of my feet, and the other pair rubs a spot on my left heel, leaving a raw hole in my foot. This does not bode well for me if 6 mile walks on basically flat level ground is tearing up my feet. The idea of switching to running shoes is not real attractive either...the last thing I need to happen is turn an ankle out in the wilderness miles from my camp.
While I've been waiting for my feet to heal, I've been cross training on my bike. Boy, is that a change! All new groups of muscles protesting the unaccustomed work, but I think it's a good way to get a cardio workout. I know I sure wind up out of breath, especially after riding into a headwind for a mile or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment