Monday, August 22, 2016

Wildlife in Australia

We've been going places and doing things the past 2 days.  Sunday we went to Sky High, the largest free flight aviary in Oz, and Snakes Down Under, a reptile venue where we saw all manner of snakes, lizards, and turtles.  Both were very cool, but the aviary was really neat because birds would fly right up and land on your shoulder or arm, and the variety of birds was awesome...pheasants, macaws, parrots, and many others.

Yesterday we went whale watching.  A bit of a pricey day but well worth it.  We saw one whale breach the surface from a distance and I got lucky enough to get a shot I was able to crop to make it look acceptable.  Several other whales were very curious and hung out with us around our boat, surfacing repeatedly and keeping all of us entertained.  Four people even chose to go into the water to snorkel with a whale, but it was not warm enough for me and I didn't have swimming trunks with me anyway.  They all really seemed to enjoy themselves though.

Overall, we had a couple of great days with family, seeing the sights and the countryside.  The rural areas near here are reminiscent of northern Michigan.  The trees and foilage are different for sure, but the overall feel is similar; sparsely populated, a mix of woods and agriculture, haphazard buildings ranging from shacks to mansions, and mostly two-lane roads.

Today is going to be a much more low key day.  Jo had to go to work, so we are going to sick closer to home today.  We may go look around the city a bit and see where Matt works.  I'm still on the lookout for a hoodie, but my chances of finding one around here aren't great, since the winters here are so mild, but I haven't given up hope.  G'day mates!




3 comments:

  1. Very cool! My girlfriends and I saw whales in Maine about 5-6 years ago--it was awesome! We even saw a rare breaching of a right (sp?) whale! Safe travels--yvette

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved whale watching in Massachusetts! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been whale watching a few times, but I've never actually seen one :( I'm Whale repellant!

    ReplyDelete