Sunday, June 16, 2019

Taos

Before leaving Tucumcari yesterday, we did a drive around town to see and photograph some of the murals.  We got quite a few of them and the quality was very impressive.  I have no idea how the town finances stuff like this, but it looked like it may have all been one person's work.  Needless to say, it is a pretty cool way to draw attention to your town and improve the look of it.  Surprisingly I didn't see any of them defaced with grafitti, although a number of abandoned buildings are covered with it.  Interesting...

Anyway, we changed plans for our destination and came to Taos, NM instead of Santa Fe.  I have wanted to visit this place for years to check out the artists' vibe and it only made sense to come up here first since it's the destination that's off the 66 tour.  I was impressed by the quality and quantity of the stuff here, although the prices caused me to choke a bit.  Good thing my walls are already decorated with my own work!  We'll leave here today and go to Santa Fe and be back on America's Main Street again.  I want to visit the Georgia O'Keefe museum there and I know other galleries are in abundance too, so I'm looking forward to it.
They call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment and I can certainly see why.  The desert in the southern portion of the state, with the red rock formations, the mesas and buttes, and wide open spaces are really a sight to behold.  And the mountains we drove through getting up here to the northern part of the state are equally beautiful.  There is an abundance of wildlife up here and I enjoyed seeing the mama and baby deer along the route.  I'm just happy they weren't on the road.
I'm signing off for now.  I hope you're enjoying the pics!

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to bring home art work. I can clear a few spaces in the living room and back porch for new pieces. 😊

    ReplyDelete