Saturday, June 28, 2014

Grenada-the Alhambra

The Alhambra is a Moorish-built castle that was begun in the 10th century, and was the inspiration for some of Washington Irving's writings.  It wasn't something I was really looking forward to seeing when I booked this trip, but I was very impressed by the time we got through with the tour today.  The Muslims do not use flowers, animals, or people in their artwork; their art is geometric shapes and patterns, and frankly, the pictures I saw online didn't impress me, but in person it's very impressive. The gardens in particular were very noteworthy. This was our only organized activity today, and following our tour a bunch of us went to a Moroccan restaurant for lunch.  My chicken Tajir was very good.  This afternoon I did a little napping and shopped for souvenirs, then went out with some of my fellow travelers for wine and tapas.  We stayed out later than we should have and probably drank more red wine than we should have, but all's well that ends well!  Adios!



No comments:

Post a Comment