Thursday, June 19, 2014

Last Full Day in England

Today was kind of a laid back  kind of day...after breakfast I found a laundromat and got myself some clean clothes so I can start out my tour in Spain fresh.  I did quite a bit of hiking around today, getting farther from the city center than I had before.  I visited a building called the Royal Crescent, a very large Georgian style building that is built with a curved footprint.  It's pretty impressive and without the tents and scaffolding I think it would have been an even better pic.

I also visited a public park near there and also the Bath Abbey, which I was able to go inside.  The architecture of that place is incredible with fan-style arches on the ceiling,  I'm not a huge fan of churches, but this place was pretty cool.  It boggles my mind to imagine how these buildings were constructed.

There is also a museum nearby that I visited.  It had a lot of artifacts from life in the 1700-1800s as well as paintings from the same era.  I got some ideas from how they displayed stuff there that may translate to Durand Union Station, and I will be sure to suggest some when I get home.

When all was said and done, though, I kind of ran out of things to do here.  There were a few things I would have liked to see, but time and logistics prevented me from doing them.  Ultimately, I just headed back to my hotel for the evening and watched the World Cup soccer game on TV and relaxed a bit.

For the food report, I started out with the English breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs,baked beans and toast.  Lunch was different, Indian cuisine and I can't remember the names of what I ate, but the soup course was nothing like I was expecting and really stands out. The menu description said "lentilos", so I was anticipating a bean soup type of dish. Instead it was a bright yellow soup, very thin, with cilantro, shallots and a few lentils, served with a wedge of lemon in the bowl. For sure out of the ordinary, but quite good.  Dinner was fish and chips washed down by a pint in a pub downtown, also good.

Tomorrow is a travel day.  I have a 9:13 train back to Reading, then another train to Gatwick airport where I catch a 2 hour flight
to Barcelona.  I will have tomorrow evening and Saturday until mid-afternoon to myself, then meet my tour.  I'm excited to start the next leg  of my journey.

1 comment:

  1. safe travels buddy, looks like another great adventure...see you probably in January :)

    ReplyDelete