Friday, June 27, 2014

Toledo to Grenada

Today was another travel day.  I didn't post last night because I was out late and was tired, so here goes:  An early start and a long bus ride today, but we made the trip in fine style.  Good meals and a couple of interesting stops along the way.

We traveled through La Mancha, which is Don Quixote country, and of course we had to stop and see some windmills.  They were pretty interesting, and were mostly used for grinding grain, as well as saffron, which is locally grown.  Saffron is the stamens of Autumn Crocuses, harvested by hand, then toasted and ground to become a spice we use in cooking.  I am going to have to sample some Paella before I leave to see if it is something I want to add to my recipe book.  There are also many olive groves there.  I have never seen so many olive trees as I did today.  Olives, grapes, saffron, and wheat seem to be the main agricultural crops of the region.

After getting into Granada late this afternoon, we took a little walking tour of the neighborhood and wound up at an awesome restaurant that had an awesome view of the Alhambra, a Moorish palace from centuries ago.

We will be touring the place tomorrow, but this picture was taken from the outdoor patio where we had a fabulous dinner tonight.  Most of us walked back to our hotel to work off some of the calories we just consumed.  That's all for tonight...will post again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment