Thursday, July 15, 2010

2 Day Post




Since I was lazy yesterday and didn't post anything, I guess I'll update for both days. Yesterday, Wednesday, I took it pretty easy, not even leaving camp until noon. I went to a place called Trail of the Cedars, which is just a short nature walk through an old-growth forest of cedars, hemlocks, black cottonwoods, and western larch. The signs said that there hadn't been a fire there since the 1500's, and I can believe that--there were cedar trees that were 5-6 feet in diameter at the bases. Very interesting and informative walk...easy too! On the way back to my van, I spotted a small doe having a snack not far from the road. She was obliging enough to stay put while I took a couple of pics, and even changed lenses. By then she had gone over a little ridge, so I followed and snapped probably 20 more shots of her and even talked to her a bit--she is obviously accustomed to humans!
Today I did a more strenuous hike, going to Apgar Lookout. This was 3.7 miles one-way (7.4 total), and had an 1800 ft. elevation gain. I met a couple at the trailhead and later caught up with them on the trail, and they let me tag along with them, especially after I told them my tale about surprising the bear on Tuesday. They are locals, and pretty amazing people--she is "almost 68" and he is 72, and they are still out here hiking 2 or 3 times a week! Granted, they are not setting any speed records, but they aren't trying to, either. I'm going to post a shot that I took from the top of Apgar.
It's warmer today than it has been, probably in the mid 80's. Nice, except now all the damn flies are out and active. They're driving me nuts as I sit here trying to type this. Arrrgghh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment