Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Starting the trip home

I didn't go very far on Monday--just to Great Falls, MT, where I got the van serviced in preparation for the trip home, and to the CM Russell Museum. The museum was very interesting, seeing the art and environment it was created in during the late 1800's and early 1900's. It was very obvious in some of his paintings that he did not like the "horseless carriages" that were just getting their start. He even had his hearse pulled by a pair of horses after he died. Everyone knows of Remington as a western artist, but Russell was very good and well known in his day too.
Drove to Gillette, WY on Tuesday. Had a little trouble finding a room because the National High School Rodeo Championships are in town. (A bit of a culture shock there) Lots of young rodeo wanna-be stars swaggering around, still wearing their bib numbers on their backs, trying to impress the girls I guess.
Anyway, if the weather cooperates, I plan on seeing Devils Tower and Mt Rushmore, but right now, it's looking like it's going to be a crapshoot, cloudy with showers and thunderstorms in the forecast. I guess the only way I'll know is to get a move on and see what it's doing when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment