Monday, July 12, 2010

What a small world

It's been quite a day today. I have met a whole bunch of people from Michigan today in the course of my travels. First was a couple from Flint who were right behind me at a road construction site on the Going To the Sun road (the only road that goes across the park east-to-west). At the next road construction stop when everybody was once again out of their cars taking pictures and shooting the breeze, a woman from a few cars back walked up wanting to know where we were from--she was from Fenton.
This evening after getting settled in my new campsite, I had a craving for a cheeseburger, so I went to the Glacier Grille to take care of it. Sitting next to me at the bar were a couple of young guys who work out here seasonally running rafts on the river and doing guided fishing excursions. One guy is from the Traverse City area and I think the other said he was from the Grand Rapids area, and they were both very helpful and informative in pointing me toward some day hikes I might want to consider.
As we were talking, a couple from the Irish Hills area spotted my Porkupine Mountains hat and introduced themselves. Finally, as I was getting up to leave a guy at the adjacent table called me by name--he had overheard me introducing myself to the two guys at the bar, as well as seeing my van outside with a sticker from the dealer in Hillsdale where I bought it. There were a half dozen at that table all from the Coldwater area!
So I just have one question: how many people are still in Michigan?

No comments:

Post a Comment