Friday, September 2, 2016

Cape Tribulation and the Daintree Rainforest

Wow! Another busy day yesterday.  My bus picked me up in front of my building at 7:30 am and by about 8:15 we were headed North out of town to our adventure for the day.  About an hour's ride took us to an Aborigine welcome center where a local gave us a smoke ceremony to welcome us to their country.  This was followed up by a chance to swim in the river (too damn cold for me!), lots of photo ops and a walk through the rainforest with our Kiwi driver/guide pointing out lots of flora and fauna.
We then went to another part of the river where there was a 30 minute boat tour to view salt water crocodiles.  The big dominant male (about 16 ft. long and 1,000 lbs.) of the area was swimming so my shots of him aren't that great, but I spotted a young female sunning herself on the bank and got numerous shots of her.
We saw many points of interest, great sights, and outstanding views throughout the day.  There was a lunch on the beach, a stop at an ice cream shop where the proprietor makes her products from raw materials gathered in the forest.  It was good.
The other culinary stop of the day was back in the forest where there was a competition (guys vs. girls) about knowledge of the rainforest and an edible challenge.  As one of the 2 "volunteers" for the men's team, I ate a live green ant, as did several others.  The flavor was supposed to be that of either lime, lemon, or sour.  Mine was lime, but when I finished my repast I exclaimed, "Tastes like chicken!"  I think that encouraged the others to step up. LOL.
Today I am staying in Cairns and plan to check out the local markets, the botanical gardens, and maybe an art museum.  Tomorrow I am booked on a boat out to the Great Barrier Reef to go snorkeling.  G'day mates!



1 comment: