Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Devenport

Okay, so today was my last full day on this side of the planet.  I took it kind of easy compared to some of the other days I've had recently.  The health app on my phone counted around 21,000 steps and calculated over 8 1/2 miles.  I took the ferry across the harbor to Devenport.  You can drive around the harbor to get there, but it's quicker by water and considering I haven't driven or even had the inclination to drive since I left home, it just seemed like the thing to do.  Devenport is a quaint little town, with lots of cool old architecture on the houses, mature trees along the shoreline, a naval base and museum, and a couple of old volcanoes providing scenic overlooks.
I had a first happen today; I stopped in a store (thought it was an art gallery, but was more of an interior decorating establishment), and when the young lady working there realized I am American she asked about the election.  As usual, I apologized for the ballot that is being put out there and to my surprise she was in favor of Trump.  I couldn't believe it, especially as she is only 21, as I found out later.  We discussed the situation for quite awhile and she agreed to do some additional internet research into Mr. Trump's background.  She wasn't aware of his bankruptcies, the fact he inherited his money to get started.  She thought he was a self made man, and when I asked what she liked about him she responded that he is an outsider, not a politician, and "He says funny things."  Fern, if you're reading this, I hope you looked up some of the things we talked about.  I would be interested to know if any of this has changed your mind.
So the score on this now stands as follows: Trump? Really?-27 Trump-yes-1.  That's how they seem to feel about us on this side of the planet.
Anyway, it was a nice day although it is raining now, and probably will be in the morning when I have to walk a few block to catch a bus to the airport.  I'm mostly packed, so all I have to do in the morning is shower and pack my toiletries and head out the door.  I've met a lot of really nice people along the way, and I really like the Airbnb setup.  This has been very helpful in combating the loneliness that can set in when traveling solo.  It's really easy to just hole up in a hotel room and not talk to anyone all night, and living in someone else's home, that's just not polite.  So, to Belinda and Patrick, Juan and Dominique, Cate, and Heather, I say thank you for helping to make my trip more enjoyable.  Your kindness and hospitality has been very much appreciated.  G'day mates!



No comments:

Post a Comment