Monday, September 19, 2016

Waiheke Island

I purchased a package excursion this morning for Taste of Waiheke (pronounced wa-hee-key) that included a ferry ride, wine tasting at three vineyards, olive oil tasting, and bus transportation on the island.  This island is a beautiful place with green rolling hills, sandy beaches, and spectacular water views.  The tour was a bit rushed but enjoyable all the same, and I purposely missed the bus back to the ferry as did another half-dozen or so of my fellow travelers.  We stayed late at the last vineyard, sipping some delicious wines and talking and laughing.  We represented Australia, USA, Great Britain, Estonia, and India, and we all had a great time joking and swapping stories.  Too bad governments can't seem to get along as well as ordinary citizens.
Everywhere I go people are asking me what is going on in the U.S. with our elections.  They all express disbelief that Trump is one of the best we have to offer, and I can only apologize on behalf of my country and explain that I think people are so disgusted with the status quo in Washington and desperate for change that they see him as a viable alternative,  Of course I disagree vehemently with that view but I think that's what has happened.  Anyway, just so you know, the people on this side of the world think our country has gone F@#$%^^ nuts, and even though they don't get a vote they do have a stake in this.  What our country does affects everybody in the world in some way and they are all concerned.   This is not to say that Clinton is loved and adored, but they certainly view her as the better of the two options.
I'm going to sign off now, and hopefully my internet issues from last night won't prevent me from posting pics again tonight.  I have one more full day here before I start the long journey home and I intend to make it count!  G'day mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment