Thursday, September 15, 2016

Last Full Day in Australia

Well, this has been fun.  I leave on a 10:00 am flight tomorrow so I need to leave my accommodations no later than 7:30.  I am taking it pretty easy today, as yesterday was another 10 mile day for me.  I am starting to get pretty tired,and even though I got back yesterday afternoon and didn't go back into the city again, I still feel whipped.  I did get to see The Rocks yesterday.   It's a collection of mostly restored and converted buildings filled with eateries and shops and galleries.  Very cool.  I wish we had preserved more of our old buildings in the U.S. and looked for alternate uses instead of tearing them down.  I know we are doing more of that now but we lost a lot of our heritage along the way.
I've got to say something here; I'm a bit disappointed in Sydney.  I know it's the biggest city I have been in, but it's also the dirtiest (litter) and has the most graffiti.  In my opinion that just makes a city look bad, and I think it sucks out some of the life of a community.  Some people would argue that graffiti is harmless, and I have seen some that is extremely artful, but I think if you feel then need to paint something and express your creative side you should own your canvas.  When it belongs to somebody else (or everybody else, as in the case of public property), then you are just a vandal.  Oh well, rant over.
I'm staying close today, just trying to conserve energy and get recharged a little bit.  I fly to Auckland tomorrow and stay there for 4 nights and then fly home.  I'm ready.  This has been a great trip, and as much fun as it is to go, it's always good to get back home too.  I got to spend time with Matt & Jo (and Rhonda and Karen), and I got to meet Adalyn in person.  She warmed up to me during the time we were there and stole my heart.  Such a cutie!
Anyway that's all for today. The pic I am posting today is a sunset over Bondi Beach.  The apartment where I am staying is in the photo.   It's a beautiful place and my host Cate has been most hospitable. What a nice lady.  G'day mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment